Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pocket TOS Fiction 1988

My dedication to Pocket's Star Trek novels deteriorated further in 1988. Eight novels featuring the original crew were published that year, but I only purchased six. For one of them -- Spock's World -- I had a bit of an excuse in that it was published in a hardcover edition and I was still a university lad with little money to spare. (And in fact I did pick up the paperback edition when it came out in 1989.) The other (Gene DeWeese's The Final Nexus) I simply didn't purchase and still do not have to this day.


Diane Carey's event novel Final Frontier kicked off the year. It was published in January 1988. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased early in 1988.


February 1988 brought The IDIC Epidemic (#38) by Jean Lorrah. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased early in 1988.


Time for Yesterday (#39) is the sequel to A.C. Crispin's well-received 1983 novel Yesterday's Son. It was published in April 1988. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 13 April 1988.


David Dvorkin's Timetrap (#40) followed in June 1988. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased in June 1988.


The Three-Minute Universe (#41) by Barbara Paul was published in August 1988. My copy is from the first edition and was purchased some time during the Fall of 1988.


September 1988 saw the publication of Pocket's first Star Trek hardcover -- Spock's World by Diane Duane. I passed on the hardcover but did pick up the softcover edition in 1989.



Memory Prime (#42) by Gar and Judith Reeves-Stevens was published in October 1988. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased during the Fall of 1988. This husband/wife writing team went on to pen many Star Trek books over the next twenty plus years.


The final TOS Trek novel of the year was The Final Nexus (#43) by Gene DeWeese, published in December 1988. I didn't purchase this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment