Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pocket TOS Fiction 1983

1982 was a little quiet with only 2 Trek novels published, but Pocket shifted into high gear in 1983 with six new novels.

Black Fire by Sonni Cooper was published in January 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 7 February 1983. My 11 February diary entry provides my thoughts on the book: "I'm also well into Sonni Cooper's new Star Trek novel, Black Fire. The style is swift-paced, at times too much so, and the characterizations, especially those of Kirk, Spock, and Scotty, are probably the best I have so far encountered in any of my ST readings. The cover illo. is also one of the best I have seen; Kirk is near perfect, Spock is almost as well done. The Enterprise and Klingon vessel are also nicely rendered."


Marshak and Culbreath's second Pocket Trek is Triangle, published in March 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 18 March 1983.


M.S. Murdock's sole Trek novel (to date!) is Web of the Romulans, published in June 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 20 June 1983.


A.C. Crispin's "Yesterday's Son" was published in August 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 20 August 1983. This is another novel that I remember loving at the time. It picks up threads introduced by two of my favourite episodes -- The City on the Edge of Forever and All Our Yesterdays. Here's a portion of the 20 August entry in my diary: "Today I bought, and read in its entirety, the newest original Star Trek novel Yesterday's Enterprise by A.C. Crispin. I liked it fine. It deals with Zar, the son of Mister Spock and Zarabeth (apparently more went on in that episode then [sic] met the eye). Spock, Kirk and McCoy [unintelligible] him from Sarpedian's ice age with the Guardian of Forever which the Romulans later attacked though did not know of the Guardian's incredible powers. Ultimately Zar returns to Sapredian's past to institute rapid technological change before the sun goes nova."


Robert E. Vardeman returns with his second Pocket Trek -- Mutiny on the Enterprise published in October 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 12 October 1983.


Rounding out the year was Diane Duane's The Wounded Sky. It was published in December 1983. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 12 December 1983. I had high praise indeed for this novel, as captured in my 19 December diary entry: "Today I finished Diane Duane's brilliant new Star Trek novel, The Wounded Sky. It is my favourite ST novel so far."

No comments:

Post a Comment