Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bantam Novels

Bantam Books published a series of original Star Trek novels throughout the 1970s and into the early 1980s. These books helped keep the franchise fresh in the lean years between the end of TOS in 1969 and the advent of Star Trek: The Motion Picture a decade later.

The title of first original Star Trek novel goes to Mission to Horatius by Mack Reynolds, published by Whitman Publishing. It was geared toward young adults and was published in 1968 while the original series was still on the air. The first Bantam Trek novel was Spock Must Die! by James Blish. It was first published in January 1970. My copy is from the 17th printing, and I purchased it on 15 June 1984.


There was a long wait for the second Bantam TOS novel titled Spock, Messiah! which was published in September 1976. My copy is from the 2nd printing and I purchased it on 11 November 1980.

The Price of the Phoenix was published in July 1977. I remember enjoying this one very much. My copy is from the 2nd printing and was purchased 11 November 1980.


Joe Haldeman's Planet of Judgement followed immediately afterward in August 1977. My copy is from the first printing and was purchased on 17 June 1982.


September 1978 saw the release of Vulcan! by Kathleen Sky. My copy is from the 3rd printing and it was purchased on 15 June 1984.


The Starless World by Gordon Eklund followed in November 1978. My copy is from the 4th printing and it was purchased on 11 October 1984.


Stephen Goldin's Trek to Madworld was next up in January 1979. The cover illustration probably wins the award for goofiest expressions by Federation officers. My copy is from the 3rd printing and I purchased it on 2 November 1984.


Another Joe Haldeman entry, titled World Without End, arrived in February 1979. My copy is from the 2nd printing and was purchased on 29 November 1984.


Next up: May 1979's The Fate of the Phoenix, a sequel to The Price of the Phoenix. I remember thinking this one wasn't as good as the first. My copy is from the 3rd printing and was purchased on 24 March 1982.


Gordon Eklund's second Trek entry, Devil World, was published in November 1979. My copy is from the 2nd printing and was purchased 29 November 1984.


Another Haldeman, this time Jack C., makes an appearance with Perry's Planet, published in February 1980. My copy is from the 3rd printing and was purchased 15 September 1984.


David Gerrold, a name long associated with Trek through the years, is next up with The Galactic Whirlpool which was published in October 1980. My copy is from the 4th printing and was purchased on 31 May 1984.


The final Trek novel from Bantam was Death's Angel by Kathleen Sky, published in April 1981. My copy is from the 3rd printing and was purchased 11 July 1984.

In my teenage years I bought books at such a rate that I was unable to read them all, and unfortunately I still haven't caught up. I've read a few of the Bantam novels, but there are a large number still left to be read. One of these days I'll have to sit down and polish off the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment