Sunday, March 21, 2010

ST:TWOK on video & TV

Prior to the 1980s, television was the primary avenue to watch films after their theatrical run. With the introduction of the videocassette in the early 1980s, a new and lucrative industry was born, one that continues to thrive to this day in the form of DVD and Blu-Ray releases. My diary entries document my eagerness to watch Wrath of Khan on these two media.

18 February1983: "Today I watched Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan twice on the VCR we rented for the weekend."

19Feburary1983: "I watched Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan two more times."

18September1983: "Today I taped Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan from First Choice Pay-TV network. Unfortunately we don't get that channel, thus the picture is distorted, in black-and-white, and with brightness reversed, dark is light, light is dark. At this very moment (I'm watching it now) Kirk, McCoy, and Saavik have beamed aboard the Regula space station to check for survivors."

6November1983: "Today I rented out Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and watched it four times -- grreat!"

14March1984: "Today I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan twice after watching it once yesterday on videocassette."

26February1985: "Two days ago, Star Trek 2 premiered on TV, and I of course taped it. The TV version added several scenes not in the theatre [sic] release."

No comments:

Post a Comment