Sunday, January 24, 2010

TOS Posters

One of the first Star Trek items I owned was a TOS poster featuring head shots of Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and Mirror Spock, along with a shot of the Enterprise surrounded by three Klingon cruisers and a central medium shot of Spock with phaser in front of a shuttlecraft.


The shot above is the faded and crinkly 2010 view. See below for the brand spanking new poster as captured at my 9-year-old birthday party in 1977. I'm the dufus with the monocle.



I have a second TOS poster from around the same time period, though I don't recall whether it was obtained slightly before or slightly after the other. It is a great shot of the main crew (3rd season perhaps, based on Doohan's hair) on a transporter pad.



Throughout my teen years these posters hung off and on in my room. Here they are, along with a few Search for Spock posters and my refit Enterprise model, in my secondary bedroom circa 1984.


Here's a shot of the second poster on the wall of my dorm room at the University of Waterloo, in October 1986. Clearly I had developed other interests by that time as well...



My love for Star Trek started in the late 1970s, peaked in the early/mid 80s, and continued at a more moderate level through the run of TNG. By the mid-1990s it was put on the back burner as marriage & kids took center stage. Circa 2007 it began to simmer with news of a revamped Star Trek, which I followed closely on trekmovie.com. I felt like a 9-year-old again when JJ's Trek film was released in May 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment