Wednesday, January 27, 2010

James Blish's TOS Adaptations

Another must-have for any Star Trek collection is the set of James Blish TOS episode adaptations put out by Bantam Books. In total there were 12 numbered collections plus a thirteenth book containing adaptations of the two Harry Mudd episodes along with a new Mudd story. I read library copies of these books in the 1970s and filled out my own collection during the 1980s.

Star Trek (1) - First published January 1967. My copy is from the 20th printing.

Star Trek 2 - First published February 1968. My copy is from the first printing, and I purchased it on 20 July 1985.

Star Trek 3 - First published April 1969. My copy is from the first printing, and I purchased it on 22 November, 1986.

Star Trek 4 - First published July 1971. My copy is from the 9th printing. I found a note in my diary indicating that I finished reading Star Trek 4 on 18 January 1979, but I believe that was a library loaner and that I purchased this copy later.

Star Trek 5 - First published February 1972. My copy is from the 6th printing. Again it looks like I also borrowed a copy of this from a library and read it during January 1979.

Star Trek 6 - First published April 1972. My copy is from the 6th printing.

Star Trek 7 - First published July 1972. My copy is from the 6th printing, and was purchased on 2 July 1988.

Star Trek 8 - First published November 1972. My copy is from the 8th printing, and was purchased on 20 July 1985.

Star Trek 9 - First published August 1973. My copy is from the 5th printing, and was purchased on 20 July 1985.

Star Trek 10 - First published February 1974. My copy is from the 8th printing.

Star Trek 11 - First published April 1975. My copy is from the 5th printing.

Star Trek 12 - First published November 1977. My copy is from the first printing.

Mudd's Angels contains adaptations of Mudd's Women and I, Mudd as well as a new Mudd story. First published May 1978. My copy is from the 2nd printing, and was purchased on 8 January 1985.

I would often come across these books while perusing various used book stores. I typically purchased a second copy of the book if it was from an older printing than the copy I already owned. Therefore I have a few extras of these adaptations, as seen in the photo above. Details on these copies:
Star Trek 1 - 21st printing, purchased 27 July 1982
Star Trek 3 - Book Club edition, 16th printing, purchased 2 February 1985
Star Trek 6 - 10th printing, purchased 5 July 1983

1 comment:

  1. Rob,

    we really did share the enjoyment of a lot of the same material! I have so many of the same items in my collection, and they meant a lot to me; still do. I have linked to your site on my blogs.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete